My fiction editing style combines aspects of both copyediting and line editing. I will make sure your manuscript follows the rules of grammar and punctuation, and I’ll also check for clarity, readability and consistency in your prose. My goal is to improve the flow and overall quality of your writing.
- Punctuation, including unnecessary or missing commas
- Capitalization and numbers
- Hyphen use
- Parallel construction
- Misplaced or dangling modifiers
- Weak transitions, awkward phrasing, rhythm
- Passive vs active sentences
- Misused words (affect vs effect)
- Verbosity (unnecessary words)
- Continuity errors (hero has green eyes on page one and blue eyes on page 50)
- Word choice, repetition, flow, clichés
- Awkward description of action
- Showing vs telling
Since I’m unable to “not notice” other issues when I’m copyediting, I may also make occasional comments on certain substantive elements I feel should be addressed.
Final-pass editing for the manuscript that is ready for publishing. No big changes. Good for previously published authors who need an extra set of eyes.
- Typos, misspellings
- Missing words
- Double double words--often introduced in making previous edits, like “the the”
- End-of-line breaks
- Line, sentence and paragraph spacing issues
- Overlooked grammar/punctuation errors.